Experts from across the industry will be presenting at the UMA Safety Management Seminar, a three-day training event that runs Dec. 1-3.
Peter Chandler, from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, will provide an update on the agency’s new initiatives to improve passenger carrier safety.
Chandler has worked for the FMCSA and its predecessor agency for more than three decades in various capacities. He is currently the Team Leader of FMCSA’s Commercial Passenger Carrier Safety Division, a position he has held since 2009.
Traditionally held in Washington, D.C., this year’s program is virtual, in part to make the event more accessible and affordable.
Training event experts
The lineup of seminar presenters includes:
- Bob Crescenzo of Lancer Insurance presenting a session entitled: Safety Basics: Regulatory Compliance, Drug and Alcohol. Crescenzo is Vice President for Safety & Loss Control at the Lancer Insurance Company, one of the nation’s leading insurers of the passenger transportation industry.
- Kerri Wirachowsky, who will present on The Most Common Defects Discovered on Roadside Inspections. As the Director of the Roadside Inspection Program for the Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA), Wirachowsky is responsible for training both enforcement and industry on the roadside inspection program.
- David Cooper, with the Transportation Security Administration, will cover the latest training requirements. As the Industry Engagement Manager for Highway and Motor Carrier within TSA’s Surface Policy Division, Cooper has responsibility for coordination and collaboration with public- and private-sector stakeholders on behalf of TSA.
- Clyde Hart will present on COVID-19: Laws, Legal Updates & Trends. Hart is the former senior vice president of government affairs at the American Bus Association. Before his long tenure at ABA, he served as head of the FMCSA and Maritime Administration, was senior counsel to the U.S. Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, and was a trial attorney at the Interstate Commerce Commission.
- Dan Tomlinson will present on Driver Basics: Rest Management. Tomlinson is a Regional Manager for Lancer Insurance Co. and works in the Safety and Loss Control Department. He has more than 25 years’ experience in the field of safety in commercial transportation, serving on several industry safety councils, committees and various projects with the FMCSA, DHS and TSA.
- Matt Dance, of Champion Coach who chairs UMA’s Risk Management Committee with speak about driver management in the final session on Thursday, Dec. 3.
UMA developed the safety and compliance training event to prepare more members of industry operators’ staff to take responsibility for safety and compliance. This is especially important as business begins to pick up and companies will be operating with fewer staff taking on more roles.
When vehicles roll, there’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes to ensure compliance and safety. For companies operating with smaller teams, that means everyone needs to be concerned with these issues.