The United Motorcoach Association will hold elections for seven operator seats on the board of directors that will open up in 2022. Members can vote online from Dec. 2-17.
Campaigning began on Oct. 7, after the slate of candidates was announced during UMA’s online Town Hall.
“There has never been a more important UMA board election than the one we face right now, said Gladys Gillis, of the Starline Collection, Immediate UMA Past Chair and Chair of the UMA Nominations/Bylaws Committee.
“The new board of directors will immediately face the tasks of helping our Members grow out of near ruin, properly supporting a brand new President and CEO from outside our industry, and defining the future teaming role with other national, state and regional organizations. Remember, only paid members can vote for our board members,” she said, adding, “Please pay your dues. Please get to know these candidates and how they feel about these issues. Please vote.”
There are contested races in UMA’s U.S. regions and an uncontested election for the Canadian region:
Winners will be announced in early January and new board members will be introduced to UMA Members at the Motorcoach EXPO in Long Beach, California, from Feb. 23-27, 2022.
Candidates by UMA Region
In Region 1, three candidates are seeking two open seats. Candidates are:
- Lisa Allen, Amador Stage Lines, Reno, Nevada
- Tom Giddens, Pacific Coachways, Garden Grove, California
- John Grzywacz, CIT Signature Transportation, Ames, Iowa
UMA’s Region 1 covers the western part of the country, including Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Iowa, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Region 2 has eight candidates running for two open seats:
- Paige Balsinger, All Around Charter & Tours, Nokomis, Florida
- James M. Brown, Sr., Magic Carpet Tour Bus Service, Richmond, Virginia
- Clarence Cox III, Georgia Coach Lines, Fayetteville, Georgia
- Jacqueline Grice, Agape Travel & Tours, Chesapeake, Virginia
- Yvette Harris, Horizon Motor Coach, Harlem, Georgia
- Lee Helms, Sunway Charters, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Jack Kaufman, Timi’s Tours Transportation, Moweaqua, Illinois
- Jason Quick, Quick’s Bus Service, Staunton, Virginia
States within Region 2 are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia. The region also includes the District of Columbia.
In Region 3, the race is uncontested with two candidates running for two open seats:
- Glenn R. Every, Tonche Transit, Mount Temper, New York
- Tim Stout, Stout’s Transportation, Ewing, New Jersey
Region 3 includes Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia.
Region 4 is an uncontested race with John Wilson, of The Wilson’s Group of Companies, Victoria, British Columbia, seeking the one open seat to represent Canadian operators.
Important upcoming dates:
Oct. 7 through Dec. 1 — Candidate campaigning
Dec. 2 — Members start voting (online voting only)
Dec. 17 — Voting ends
Jan. 6 — New directors announced
Feb. 23-27 — New directors introduced at UMA Motorcoach EXPO in Long Beach, CA